fatsecret members overall average rating
An incredibly hearty low-calorie vegetable stew that's great alone, on whole wheat pasta or folded into an omelet.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Slice onions thinly and add to skillet. Cook about 4 minutes, or until onions start to become soft. Seed and dice bell peppers, about 1/4 inch or to your liking. Add to onions and cook 4 minutes.
- Dice zucchini and summer squash the same size as the bell pepper, add to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes.
- Dice eggplant and add-- you can peel or leave the skins on. Cook about 7 minutes. Dice garlic and add to the mix.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer on low about 40 minutes or until vegetables are soft and the mixture is slightly thickened. Slice basil into thin strips.
- Turn off the heat and mix basil into vegetable mixture. Enjoy.
- Note: this recipe is very versatile and does not need to be followed to a T. You may add most any vegetable you like that take well to the stewing method.
119 members have added this recipe to their cookbook.
* opinions expressed on this site are those of the FatSecret members and do not necessarily reflect the views of You: On a Diet